Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Glassful of Water

This is the story of a glass of water.

There was just one glass of water.

My great granny had got it from her mother. She’d handed it over to my granny from whom my mother had inherited it. And I happen to be the current legal owner of this venerated resource.

It is an age-old heirloom meant to be passed on to the subsequent generations.

My predecessors had all been careful with it. It was an heirloom after all.

It had been a much revered and cherished entity before it found its way to my beautiful hands.

And then, I let the bliss of forgetfulness cast its spell on my highly intelligent mind.
The warning that I had inherited along with that glassful of water very conveniently took a back-seat in my psyche.

“It is vital to life next only to the life-giving air and mother’s love” they’d told me.

But I found it useless and tedious to comply by the caution.
Moreover, I dint want to part with the open secret of the highly thought of resource so I even preferred not to warn my predecessors about its scarcity.
In addition, I also took pride in inculcating the same recklessness into the minds of my naive successors and have thus successfully passed on the same to the final generation.

There will be no more generations after that, they say, as the third mortal war it is said will be fought over water.

The last fight will be fought, for the remaining last drop, by the last generation of Homo sapiens.

But why the bloody hell should I bother about the woes of the Third World War.

Let them fight over it‼

For now, I choose to forget the warning.

And I want my share and that of my daughter’s to flow down the drain coz she loves to bathe in flowing water. Flowing did I say? Oops‼ I mean “overflowing”.

Besides, I don’t really care for my daughter’s daughter or her grand daughter for that matter. All I care for is my daughter, my comfort and the current situation.

And anyway, how can one person help the situation?

So what if Einstein was one. So were Gandhi, Hitler, Mother Teresa and Shabbir Bhatia plus several other individuals. All of whom have made a difference not only to an entire population but to the entire world. They were all just “one person”.

But, no arguments please‼

This is my glass of water and I’ll treat it as per my whims and fantasies. Period‼


Earth constitutes of 70% of water of which only 3% is potable.
SPREAD LOVE. SAVE WATER
It’s Now or Never

4 comments:

  1. i think you are an excellent writer.. i am very very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) :) I really really like this post! I'm visiting from Sushmita's blog and I hope to be reading more from yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..such a thoughtful writing.It actually gave me goose pimples.

    You have so much of dept in your writing.

    Please strike those key pads soon and write more.

    I think you have the power to transform thoughts :)

    Happy Writing.

    ReplyDelete

Live Life King Size

Make the most of now. And, remember that life is too short to be mad at something or someone.